Friday 8 October 2010

Learn from failure

I just got a new job. It took a lot of work. Years of study.  Tests.  My daughter is complaining she can’t get a job. She says she thinks that her resume is a failure. Well, maybe it is, I said.  I told her that I have failed at many job interviews, but it doesn’t matter. Failure shows you what you need to work on next. If you pay attention to your failure and look carefully at what you say about it, you can learn how to do it better next time. Of course, it may take more than one try.

I know I took a long time to look at what I was doing wrong in job interviews and tried to correct them one at a time. Like cracking jokes because you are nervous. People laugh, but it just made me forget what I wanted to say. Or standing up when you give a presentation. You know the answer, but only when you study what happened and why you failed can you see how you should do thing differently in the future. So she thought about it and is going to rewrite her resume. 


I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work. - Thomas Alva Edison

No comments: