Thursday 24 February 2011

Songwriting while driving?

I know you are not supposed to drive and talk on your cell phone, but
what about driving down the 401 singing and recording it on your
Blackberry? Well, I was only going 20 km in bumper-to-bumper traffic,
so it's not as bad as it sounds. Crows cawing as I write this, yeah.
So, I wrote these lyrics long ago and could never come up with a melody
to go with them - until today - and it happened to happen as I was
driving on the 401.
They go like this:
"Change is the only constant in life,
Forget the past, it only brings strife,
Move with the moment, learn how to dance,
Tomorrow's a dream. Today is your chance."
So, I had to record it before it got away - like the scent of a passing
woman's perfume.
No wonder I am not good at the high-profile jobs I always manage to get
myself into. When I focus on the job, I am great, "always on" and just
what everybody wants me to be, but as soon as I figure out how to do the
job and it gets to be second nature, I start songwriting in between
tasks and then juggling gets tough. But I can't help it. I am a
songwriter first. Everything else is really just the things I have to do
to maintain a life of status quo.

No comments: